Monday, February 11, 2008

Interview with Jeremy from Jack Fendey


Jack Fendey played its first show on Dec 31, 1999 and it's last on Dec 29, 2002

What inspired you to start playing music?

The really big moment was when I found a bass guitar at school at the end of my freshman year of high school. I convinced my teacher to let me take the bass and an amp home for the summer under the condition that I would know how to read and play the sheet music for it well enough to be in the jazz band when school started back.

Do you think there is something to be said for striking out on your own?

Of course I think that it's important to do things in a way that makes you happy and not necessarily just the way you are told you should. I don't think this is always the way to success if that is what you are after. I also know some very successful people that are not very happy.

Do you ever feel as if there was/is/ a Fort Myers scene?

Yeah I do think that there is a ft Myers scene.
Although I don't really know what form it's in right now because I just moved back after being gone for a few years. When I first started going to shows I saw these people that were my own age playing music in whatever way they wanted. I had always wanted to be in a band and write songs but I didn't realize that there were these other people out there that did the same and took it to that level. And the fact that they were out there putting together DIY shows and such was kind of an eye opener. And they were good too. Failsafe just floored me back then. All I had known previously were concerts in Centennial Park or whatever was put on by radio stations. Looking back it was so inspiring.

What were you trying to do with your lyrics in Jack Fendey?

At that time I was just trying to make them not sound too terrible. I’ve always been a very slow lyric writer. As a result I would take lines from all different pages that I had written and piece them together in to something that kind of made sense. So anyone trying to read anything into any Jack Fendey song can forget it.

1 comment:

Todd Bursztyn said...

"Piece [lyrics] together into something that kind of made sense." Well, at least he's honest, unlike so many pretentious musicians who dress up accidental fame as well-deserved genius.