Monday, March 24, 2008

Live Blog: The Brentford Sound and Pop Pop at Yabbos.

For my live blog I chose to attend a show featuring The Brentford Sound and Pop Pop, who were playing at a restaurant called Yabbos.

9:30 P.M.-I arrive at Yabbos expecting a few people to be in attendance. To my surprise the entire parking lot is filled with people young and old. Unable to find a laptop to use for tonights event I instead walk around awkwardly clutching a notebook and a pen while saying hello to everyone.

9:45 P.M.- I snap a picture of The Brentford Sound before showtime. Maria,whom prior to this show only played trumpet for the band is now the new singer.

9:50 P.M.- Some girls ask me what is in the notebook I am holding. I sheepishly hand it over to them as their hands magically flit to some "poetry" I wrote. They both cackle as they read. I walk away, not really needing it as the show is running late anyways.


10:30 P.M.- Pop Pop, which is a three man band consisting of Marc Davis, Mike Cosden (also in numerous other bands and The Brentford Sound) and Doug Davison take the stage. Pop Pop can best be described as jangly indie pop.

10:42 P.M.- Twelve minutes into the set Doug says: "Y'know, Summer is just around the corner and so is that sweet sweet sauce. This song is called Bar-B-Que Days."

10:51 P.M.-Marc Davis drummer of Pop Pop messes up. It appears now that the drums are playing him.

10:56P.M.-Pop Pop play "Fisherboy" a heartfelt love song that include the lines:

This still water so very calm
like darvocets, like Vietnam.

Let's ride around all day
in your Mazda Protege.

I'll pay the bills
if you stop taking bills

and tell me why you frown
when we hang around.

If I can't be your fisherman
can I be your fisherboy?


11:00 P.M.- Pop Pop finish their set. The noise of chatter fills the air as The Brentford Sound set up.

11:30 P.M.- The Brentford Sound start their set. Maria looks around nervously and opens her mouth to sing.Her voice is better than expected.It is amazing honeycomb, soulful and sweet. The crowd cheers. We are on the road to somewhere.

11:47 P.M.-Let it be said now that holding a notebook in a room full of gyrating bodies makes one look stupid and foolishly self involved.Especially when one is in a room full of gyrating bodies appearing to be having the time of their lives.

11:56 P.M.-Michael Cosden messes up on guitar. I note the time and scribble this down happily,knowing he is far better than I on guitar. My hand bounds across the page rejoicing in this unexpected chance to be a chronicler of his mistakes.

12:15 A.M.- The Brentford Sound finish their set. The bartender in a fit of happiness declares all yager shots to be $2,"Drink em up!" he says.

12:16 A.M.- Goodnight.

No comments: